Let’s talk about injuries
The 2016 New York Mets have been plagued by injuries throughout the entire season.
Here we have a list of Mets that have landed on the disabled list and have missed extensive playing time this year
- David Wright
- Lucas Duda
- Matt Harvey
- Juan Lagares
- Yoenis Cespedes
- Asdrubal Cabrera
- Travis d’Arnaud
- Jose Reyes
- Justin Ruggiano
- Wilmer Flores
- Jim Henderson
- Zack Wheeler
- Jacob deGrom
- Steven Matz
- Neil Walker
Here we have a list of the opening day starting line up
- Curtis Granderson (RF)
- David Wright (3B)
- Yoenis Cespedes (LF)
- Lucas Duda (1B)
- Neil Walker (2B)
- Michael Conforto (DH)
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS)
- Travis d’Arnaud (C)
- Juan Lagares (CF)
- Matt Harvey (P)
If you do the math, 8 of our 10 (AL field) starters have landed on the disabled list this season. The only two who have not are Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto (Conforto also missed time this season, as he was sent down to AAA Las Vegas) (which was the worst time of my life).
If I were to sit here and type out every reason why each of these players have landed on the DL, we would be here for 6 years, so I’ll save all of us time and tell you who was able to return to the field, and who was not.
- David Wright- season ending surgery mid June
- Lucas Duda-surgery mid May, making a return this Saturday 9/17/16
- Matt Harvey- season ending surgery early July
- Juan Lagares- surgery late July, made a return on 9/16/16
- Yoenis Cespedes- currently not hurt (he’s still hurt but he’s being very nice to us and playing anyway)
- Asdrubal Cabrera- currently not hurt (also still hurt, admitted he would not be playing if we weren’t in a play off push. What a guy. Love you, Cabby)
- Travis d’Arnaud- he’s not currently hurt, but he’s made of glass so it’s only a matter of time
- Jose Reyes- he’s healthy, he’s killing it, everyone is happy (except Familia after that blown save. He might not be so hapy.)
- Justin Ruggiano- season ending surgery late August
- Wilmer Flores- 😦 currently unavailable due to a sore wrist after a (terrifying) collision at home plate, and I’m really sad about it. Should be able to play again soon!!
- Jim Henderson- currently healthy
- Zack Wheeler- was planning on returning to the rotation this season, but all rehab was shut down in August. Maybe next season 😦
- Jacob deGrom- season ending surgery announced on 9/20/16 and I’m emotionally devastated.
- Steven Matz- still on DL, but making improvements. Scheduled to start on Friday 9/23/16 if everything stays okay between now and then (but you know the Mets, I’m sure his arm will fall out if its socket between now and then)
- Neil Walker- season ending surgery early September. And I’m still grieving. (Sandy Alderson, if you’re reading this, we want him back next year. Please and thank you.)
Considering this entire team is accident prone and gets hurt by just stepping onto a baseball field, it’s really hard to comprehend how they’re still in the running for a play off spot. They really kicked it into high gear as of late, and have shown how much fight they have in them, despite their broken limbs and half-healthy players.